Want to know The Truth About CPM?

01 October 2014

Oracle OpenWorld 2014, day 4

The craziness continues, part the fourth

I am slowing down.  No, not because I am old and feeble (definitely something to look forward to but not just yet) but because I am not getting enough sleep.  I don’t even seem to be able to get enough energy to take pictures.  Or attend that many sessions.  For shame, but I’ve been at this a week already (remember I was here four days before OpenWorld actually began), I’m running out of clean clothes (possibly too much information?), and I’m just…well, tired.  See, the craziness continues bit wasn’t exaggeration on my part.

At the same time, OpenWorld is a great place to catch up with otherwise virtual friends, fly the ODTUG flag, and meet with key Oracle personnel.  

So no complaints on my side, other than my inability to discipline myself to go to bed early.  That’s hardly the fault of Oracle, but instead the fault of Cameron.

Yesterday

We had quite the blowout at the meetup Tim Tow and I hosted.  So fun, so much talking, so much networking that I forgot (gasp) to take photos or ask others to do the same.  So unfortunately, just the one picture I took at the beginning.  As always, it was nice to see familiar faces and meet in a relaxed forum.  You should join us next year.  :)  And take photos so yr. obt. svt. would have something to post.

And today

CON8532  --  Product Development Panel Q&A: Oracle Hyperion EPM Applications

Talk about more stars than there are in heaven, at least if heaven is defined as Oracle development management.

Left to right from your perspective, Gentle Reader, is:  Matt Bradley, Kash Mohammed, mystery HFM development manager (sorry, I am HFM-stupid or I would know who this is), Prasad Kulkarni, and Toufic Wakim.

CON7615  --  Oracle Exalytics In-Memory Machine: The Fast Path to In-Memory Analytics

I’m listening to Gabby Rubin speak right now re Exalytics.  There is a ton of true Business Intelligence offerings on Exalytics – it’s way more than just OBIEE.  Try Endeca, in-memory engine (both Essbase and Oracle database), TimesTen, InfiniBand, and more cores than you can shake a stick at.  Essbase has grown and grown and, unlike me, isn’t getting tired.

CON8546  --  Oracle Enterprise Performance Management on Mobile

Here’s Al Marciante talking about mobile, EPM, and cloud:

What I am very glad to hear is that my customers will not be Planning on their iPhone.  That was going to be ugly.  And tiny.

Financial Reports is coming (not soon, but it is coming) to mobile.

As is Smart View (yes) on MicroSoft’s Surface Pro tablet (which is essentially a Windows 8 computer).  

Planning on mobile:
  • Interface for tablets
  • Full write-back (so tiny type?)
    • Forms
    • Reports
    • Calc Man rules
  • HTML5 based
  • Consistent interface with Fusion applications

The other thing that is interesting is Oracle Financial Management Analysis on mobile.  Cool mashup of HFM and OBIEE without require a PhD in Oracle Business Intelligence.  I cannot wait for the Planning version of this.  

I will note that I am a bit of anomaly as I bang away at my laptop as mobile devices are absolutely everywhere at OpenWorld.  I do have my much-maligned phone, but I am sort of a minimalist when it comes to using it, although that may be a case of cutting my suit to fit my cloth.

What’s next?

If someone would send me snaps of last night’s meetup, I’d be happy to update this blog with them.  Hint.

I am not going to the event tonight.  Remember that bit above about tiredness.  I will likely (hopefully) have a quite dinner with a few of my friends and take some pictures this time to prove it.

Watch this blog for more information on the last (sob) day of OpenWorld.
Be seeing you.

No comments: